When I first starting my real estate career, many years ago, a very smart mentor/trainer of mine used to tell me ALL THE TIME that it was the little things that would determine my level of success in real estate.
It took me years to fully understand the impact of what he was saying but it was through his watchful eye and gentle reminders that I was able to benefit from his wisdom.
So, what were those little things, those pearls of wisdom that he shared with me? He used to tell me it was those special little things we did that would add so much to our professional reputation and would have the greatest impact on both my clients and my career… boy was he right.
I wanted to share some of his pearls of wisdom. He used to remind me all the time of the following things:
- Do not forget to stay in contact after the transaction closes because it is during that period you will be making the greatest impact……either positive or negative.
- Focus on getting your “head” in the right place at the start of your day and have a routine for planning your day out, this will ensure you do not forget the important dates and events in your clients lives.
- Have a plan for your business and follow it religiously, do not stray chasing the next bright shiny object. Stay on course and remember to impress your clients by always going out of your way to write something to them that is personal and not generic.
- Make a memorable moment for your clients either when they first walk in the door of their new home or when they leave their treasured family home for the last time. (This was one of my favorite pearls of wisdom and I would always have a large beautiful welcome package for all my buyers and for all my sellers who were leaving a family home I would have a watercolor painting done for them…. yes it was these little things that had the greatest impact.
- The simple act of starting a mailing campaign or a lead generation campaign and following it through to the end of the entire campaign was just another little thing that had such impact. In a world where consistency is so hard to come by this was a simple thing to do that had incredible impact.
- The act of saying thank you to EVERY client you have and truly making them feel that you so appreciated the opportunity to get to know them and to be a part of such a large transaction in their lives is very impactful.
- The act of sending all past buyers an analysis every year on the home you helped them buy is such a great way to say that you are thinking of them and watching their investment. This is a high impact action!
I want to challenge you to make a list of all the little things you do in your business that positively impact your clients. Whether that is something from my list above or a simple handwritten card, there is no end to the list you can custom create for your business. And don’t overthink this too much, just start with the one thing you know you do that your clients love and then keep adding to your list, before you know it you will have a very impressive business!
By Denise Lones CSP, M.I.R.M., CDEI – The founding partner of The Lones Group, Denise Lones, brings nearly three decades of experience in the real estate industry. With agent/broker coaching, expertise in branding, lead generation, strategic marketing, business analysis, new home project planning, product development, Denise is nationally recognized as the source for all things real estate. With a passion for improvement, Denise has helped thousands of real estate agents, brokers, and managers build their business to unprecedented levels of success, while helping them maintain balance and quality of life.